Monday, April 28, 2014

Holy Spirit moving in Cuba, Guatemala, and Atlanta

Over the last several weeks I have taught and preached in Cuba, spent some time in the men’s shelter, and have just returned from a mission trip to Guatemala.  I have experienced the move of the Holy Spirit in the Cuban church.  I was privileged to experience the love and gentleness of the Cuban people.  I was honored to spend a night in the Central Presbyterian Men’s Shelter in Atlanta.  I saw men filled with that same Holy Spirit.  They had loving eyes that somehow did not seem to belong in bodies that had seen way too many hard days.  They were thankful and grateful for another day as I am.  As they walked into the early morning darkness, I asked that God would protect them.  I also prayed that they would find suitable shelter and jobs over the summer so that they would not return to the shelter in the fall.

Now I have just returned from Guatemala and I am trying to process the last several weeks.  I experienced the love of the Guatemalan people in many ways.  That same Holy Spirit that was present in Cuba, and in downtown Atlanta, is in Guatemala as well.  I see a look in their eye, a look of love and God’s grace.  I feel God’s love, God’s grace, and the warmth of His embrace.  God is good, and it is good to be home, but a part of me is still with my Guatemalan and Cuban brothers and sisters, and the men of the Central Presbyterian Night Shelter.  I pray that they feel the warmth of His embrace.


Randy DeGroot 2014

1 comment: