Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Central Night Shelter - March 2014

by Karen Stephens

We are humbled and reminded that nothing is random in God's kingdom.  Everything that happens fits into a pattern for good, to those who love Him. Our congregation at PTCUMC demonstrated the "good" by being examples of unconditional love, compassion and trust as we served seven continuous days and nights at the Central Night Shelter last month.  You shined the light of Christ to those living in darkness and the power of Jesus' transforming grace.

With over 200 individuals, over 10 small groups and bible studies, as well as our confirmation class participating, it is currently the largest church-wide regional missions outreach ministry we have.  Do know that we could not have done it without each and everyone of you.  Guests at the shelter could not of been welcomed with His marvelous light of hope, mercy and peace as they find refuse from a life on the streets without your participation.  Rave reviews were received from the over 600 plus delicious meals served,  500 plus sack lunches provided and heartfelt testimonies of those who witnessed their faith as men shared their life stories and concerns.


We were blessed during our Maundy Thursday service to hear the testimony of Sandy Starkey about her time volunteering with this ministry.

-        ­­Hello, My Name is Sandy Starkey and I am just one of the many volunteers from the Central Night Shelter.

I am not a public speaker but I would like to share with you part of my experience from my visit to the shelter on Saturday, March 29th

I will read to you my story.

-         I am a mother of 3 teenagers and it’s not often we can ALL agree on what to do on a Saturday Night, but as soon as I told the kids that I had signed us up to Serve at the shelter again and they ALL Said YES!!  So I Knew we were off to a Great start

-        When we arrived that night things got very busy -getting everything ready to service dinner and taking care of the
-         TO GO MEALS for the next day.

- We said a prayer before dinner and then the men started eating.
- They were so Happy with the - ALL American Meal -Garden Salad, Beef Hotdogs, Green Beans, and Mac & Cheese.
Followed up by a crowed favorite Ice Cream Sundae’s
-        I was walking around and noticed one of the Gentlemen sitting of to the side and not eating. I went over and asked
-         If I could fix him a plate.
He told me” I don’t eat until everyone else has had plenty to eat.”
- I reassured him that we had plenty for everyone.
He gave in and said,”Ok you can make a plate and put it into the refrigerator and I will eat later”.
-        I made his meal and placed it into the refrigerator.
-         
Before we left I walked over to him and placed my hand on his shoulder and told him that
“His meal was in the refrigerator ready for him when He was ready to eat.”  
-        I told him also  “you are really looking out for your friends” and
He looked into my eyes and said “I Love them and want to make sure they are taken care of”.
I looked around the room and then
With a BIG smile on my face I looked back at Him and said
 “O’ there is a LOT OF LOVE IN THIS ROOM and then he smiled and looked and me and said “Yes, There is”.
 - I feel very blessed to have witness the love of Christ and see firsthand the good work that was being done by each and every person that took part in making that one night possible.



- LOVE - IS TRULY THE GREATEST GIFT OF ALL!
  I can’t help but to think of that man as a
Shepherd that was keeping watch over his sheep.

I have also wondered did everyone else see that man that night or was that just meant for me?
Thank you so much for this wonderful opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment